Last updated: 2019-04-23
Focus and scope
Maximum number of articles published by author
Frequency of publication
Open access policy
Correction and retraction policies
Verification of originality
Digital Objects Identifier
Focus and scope
TecnoLógicas is an open access scientific journal, published regularly in the months of January, May and September, which was created to promote the dissemination of new knowledge that leads to improve scientific and technological development, academic training and professional practice in the fields of engineering and applied technology, through the publication of original and relevant research and review of literature papers, written in the Spanish or English languages. Published papers are selected through a rigorous double-blind peer review system. TecnoLógicas is published with the funding of Instituto Tecnológico Metropolitano of Medellin.
The journal TecnoLógicas publishes articles that are framed in the following fields of research:
- Earth sciences and environment
- Computing and information science
- Agricultural and food engineering
- Electrical and electronic engineering
- Computer engineering and information systems
- Materials engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Chemical engineering
- Other engineering and technologies
The journal TecnoLógicas, receives proposals for academic articles that are framed in the following categories:
Research article: document that presents in a detailed way original research results. The document must clearly show the problem being treated and the previous works recently published in the scientific literature, it must also describe in a rigorous and complete manner the proposed methods and experimental results that show the contribution of work in one of the branches of engineering and present a discussion of the advantages and disadvantages of these, in contrast to the state of the art, and finally, a section of conclusions that respond to the objectives and are generated from the content of the manuscript.
Review article: document resulting from research where the results of published research or not, on a field in science or technology, are analyzed, systematized and integrated, in order to account for progress and development trends. It is characterized by presenting a careful bibliographic review of at least 50 references.
Maximum number of articles published by author
The journal TecnoLógicas will publish a maximum of two (2) articles by the same author, in the same number.
The journal's evaluation policy is scientific arbitration under the double-blind modality, in which the identity of the authors and evaluators is unknown to both parties. The manuscript will be sent to at least two academic pairs external to the institution or the country, which are chosen based on criteria of academic solvency in the subject and mastery of the language in which the manuscript is written. They will issue a concept about the academic quality of their content, rigor in the theoretical and methodological treatment as the author's contribution to new knowledge. The cases of controversy will be resolved through the assignment of an additional evaluator and the Editorial Committee will be the one who will determine the final decision of publication. The estimated time for this process is three months, which depends on the speed of the reviewers to respond to the evaluation.
Frequency of publication
The journal TecnoLógicas publishes 3 issues per year (as of 2017): January - April, May - August and September - December.
The journal has a digital object identifier (DOI) for electronic editions and their respective published articles, in order to guarantee permanent access, interoperability, intellectual property and increase scientific visibility.
Open access policy
This journal is freely available online on the TecnoLógicas web site. The journal contents can be totally or partially reproduced as long as the relevant citation (authors and journal details) is included and the information is used for scientific research or educational purposes. The viewpoints and opinions expressed in the published papers and what others may do of them are the responsibility of the authors.
TecnoLógicas, as a journal that seeks to promote excellent scientific dissemination, is committed to promote the enforcement of quality and ethical standards during all the stages of the publication process. For that purpose, TecnoLógicas declares it observes the ethical regulations and procedures to settle controversies established by the Committee on Publication Ethics COPE.
The following are the duties of each participant in the publication process of the journal.
Duties of editors and professional team of the journal
- Publication decision: The editor of TecnoLógicas Journal ensures the scientific community that the editorial processes conducted by the journal are serious and high-quality, and that it only publishes articles that have undergone a peer-review process and present a contribution in the fields of engineering and applied technology.
- Unbiased process: The editor evaluates the manuscripts in an unbiased manner, without any type of discrimination whatsoever, respecting the intellectual independence of the authors, and not favoring any author due to their institutional affiliation or academic career.
- Confidentiality and nondisclosure agreement: The editor and the professional team of the journal shall not disclose information of authors or reviewers. Additionally, they shall maintain the confidentiality of the content of the manuscript until it has been accepted and published.
- Conflict of interest: If the journal receives a manuscript in which at least one of the authors has a direct personal or professional relationship with the editor of the journal or is closely related to one of their studies or projects, it is considered a conflict of interest. Therefore, the editor will abstain from participating in the review process of the submitted manuscript and will forward it to the Editorial Board for them to carry out the editorial process.
- Reviewer selection: The editor will select the peer-reviewers in an objective way, ensuring their competence in the specific field of the manuscript and a critical and expert evaluation of the work with the least possible bias.
- Respect for decision times: The editors and the professional team of the journal are responsible for respecting review times in the different editorial stages of the manuscript and the publication of accepted articles. They will work for the timely dissemination of the results in each issue.
- Errors in published articles: When editors find or are informed about an important error that significantly affects the results, conclusions, authorship, or institutional affiliation of a published article, they should make sure that it is timely corrected and informed to the scientific community so that potential readers are aware of the corrections that were made.
- Procedure in case of ethical issues: The editor of TecnoLógicas Journal will take all claims and suspicions of inappropriate behavior seriously and will conduct reasonable procedures to investigate each case, regardless of the moment at which they are identified or reported, even when the article has already been published. In any case, the authors will have the opportunity to respond to the claim.
Duties of authors
- Originality: The authors shall ensure that the manuscript they submit is original and unpublished, it has not been partially or totally published in any format, and it was not simultaneously submitted to other publications.
- Data veracity: The authors should confirm the veracity of the data or results obtained during their studies. In other words, they should make sure that the data were not altered or manipulated because such behavior is considered an ethically incorrect and fraudulent practice.
- Sources of information: The authors should adequately cite the origin of the ideas or literal sentences taken from other previously published works, as indicated in the IEEE citation style implemented in the journal. They should also make sure that the references are the original sources the information in the manuscript is based on.
- Authorship: The authors ensure that they have respected the authorship of the individuals that made a significant contribution to the experimental design, data collection, planning, implementation, and interpretation of the results of the study and the drafting of the manuscript. Furthermore, the order or hierarchy of the authors corresponds to their level of responsibility and participation in the work.
- Funding source and institutional affiliation: The authors should inform the name of the institution they worked for during the study (affiliation). Additionally, they should indicate if the submitted paper is the result of studies carried out with public or private funding. In that case, they should provide the name of such funding source.
- Conflict of interest: All the authors shall explicitly declare any possible conflict of financial, professional, or personal interests that may inappropriately influence their results or interpretations.
- Errors in published articles: when authors identify a significant error in the editorial process or the publication of the manuscript, they should immediately communicate it to the editor of the journal so that the publication can be changed, withdrawn, or retracted.
Duties of reviewers
- Contribution to the editorial decision: Reviewers commit to conduct a critical, objective, constructive, and honest review, properly supporting their recommendation and respecting the intellectual autonomy of the author of the manuscript. If the reviewers deem their expertise not sufficient to conduct the review, they should immediately inform the editor and abandon the process.
- If the reviewers identify or have a reasonable suspicion of inappropriate behavior (e.g., redundant publication, plagiarism, double submission, data manipulation, conflict of interest, or incorrect authorship), they should immediately warn the editor to take action in that regard.
- Confidentiality and nondisclosure agreement: The reviewers acknowledge that all the information contained in the manuscript, including text, figures, tables, multimedia material, and appendices is confidential, the property of the authors, and protected by copyright law. They commit to use the information only for the academic review and recommendation process.
- Respect for review times: Reviewers should submit their review on time. If they cannot meet the deadline for any reason, they should inform the editor of their possible delay and propose a new due date.
- Acknowledgement of sources of information: The reviewers should ensure that the references in the manuscript are relevant and recent works published on the topic of the manuscript. In case they fail to meet said criteria, they should suggest to delete references and include others that are not cited in the manuscript.
- Anonymity: In order to guarantee the impartiality of the evaluation of the manuscript, the journal editor does not disclose the identity of the authors of the manuscript. Likewise, the names of the reviewers are confidential and will never be disclosed to the authors. If the identity of the authors has been compromised for any reason, the reviewer should immediately notify the editor.
- Conflict of interest: The reviewers should inform the editor if they consider they have any kind of financial, professional, or personal conflict of interest with any of the authors of the manuscript. If the reviewers have a conflict of interest, they should reject the review and inform the journal editor about the reason why they cannot conduct such review.
Duties of readers
Readers should immediately inform the editor if they identify an article published in any issue of the journal that bears similarity to other works previously published or any other inappropriate behavior so that action can be taken in that regard.
Readers commit to respect the copyright of the articles published in the journal, avoiding the use of substantial segments of the works in their publications or adequately citing them.
Correction and retraction policies
Correction to published papers
Honest errors are a part of science and publishing processes, and these must be corrected when they are detected. Authors are requested to inform the TecnoLógicas Journal Editor of any errors of fact they have noticed in their article once published. Corrections will be performed as soon as possible, at the discretion of the editorial committee.
Retraction to published papers
Retractions will be considered by journal editors in cases of evidence of unethical conducting research, such as unreliable data or findings, plagiarism, duplicate publication, among others. All retraction notices will explain why the article was retracted.
To settle controversies we follow the COPE guidelines where applicable.
Verification of originality
All manuscripts proposed to the journal will be registered and analyzed through a software for the identification of coincidences. In case of identifying indications about infractions of the codes of ethics, the procedure established in the COPE flowcharts will be followed to resolve the cases of suspected bad practices (see here).
With the declaration of originality and ineditude, either through a signed letter or acceptance of terms, in the magazine's sending platform; the authors declare under oath that the submitted manuscript is an original and unpublished work created by those who submit it and that all the aforementioned authors made a substantial creative contribution to the work. They also declare that no equal or substantially similar article has been published or submitted for publication, in any format or means of publication prior to this request.
In the event that the manuscript is approved for publication, the authors must assign free of charge to the INSTITUTO TECNOLÓGICO METROPOLITANO all the corresponding patrimonial rights of authors, including but not limited to the rights of reproduction, public communication, placing disposition, distribution and transformation, without any limit as to the number of copies and the means through which said reproduction, public communication, making available, distribution and transformation will take place, which could be any known or unknown means.
The METROPOLITAN TECHNOLOGICAL INSTITUTE shall be the sole holder of the rights of reproduction, distribution, public communication, making available and transformation on THE ARTICLE which may reproduce, distribute, communicate and make available to the public totally or partially, free of charge or onerous, in any format, including, but not limited to printed format, pdf, xml, and html, in electronic media, print, internet, and other media known or unknown. In addition, you can include THE ARTICLE in international indexes and databases.
Additionally, the authors must state that they will keep the INSTITUTO TECNOLÓGICO METROPOLITANO harmless against any judicial, extrajudicial, administrative or any other claim on the patrimonial rights of authors that fall on the authors of THE ARTICLE and will be in defense of the METROPOLITAN TECHNOLOGICAL INSTITUTE before any requirement that is made regarding the originality, ineditude and patrimonial rights of the author on THE ARTICLE.
That, the METROPOLITAN TECHNOLOGICAL INSTITUTE, according to its editorial policies, authorizes the self-archiving or deposit of THE ARTICLE at the time of the acceptance of the work and in its post-print version (editorial version) in personal web pages and in institutional or thematic repositories.
The texts published in this magazine, as of June of the year 2018, are under a Creative Commons License "Recognition-Non-Commercial-Share Equal" that allows others:
Recognition: must recognize the authorship properly, provide a link to the license and indicate if changes have been made. You can do it in any reasonable way, but not in a way that suggests that you have the support of the licensor or receive it for the use you make.
NonCommercial: you can not use the material for a commercial purpose.
Share Equal: If you remix, transform or create from the material, you must disseminate your contributions under the same license as the original.
In accordance with the provisions of Agreement 034 of 2014 (ITM Intellectual Property Statute) Article 19 "The ideas expressed in the works and investigations published and / or manifested by their professors, contractors, administrative officers, servers, collaborators, apprentices, Visitors, students and researchers in any context are the sole responsibility of their authors and are not expressions of the Institution's official thinking. "
The personal data included in this publication are the property of their owners and will be used in accordance with Resolution 395 of 2014 corresponding to the "Policies for the treatment and protection of personal data" of the ITM available on its website, accordingly, these data will be treated in accordance with the laws in force in the matter, especially Law 1581 of 2012 ".
As a source of financing, the magazine counts for its operation with the resources assigned by the Metropolitan Technological Institute, a public entity.
The journal TecnoLógicas in any of its sections, charges no fee for processes of review, edition or publication of articles.
As a mechanism of control, preservation and long-term guarantee of the availability of the works published in the magazine and in compliance with the Colombian legal deposit, backups of each edition are sent to the National Library of Colombia, to the Carlos Castro Saavedra Departmental Library, the National University Library and the Library of Congress.
Digital Objects Identifier
The journal has a digital object identifier (DOI) for electronic editions and its published articles, in order to guarantee permanent access, interoperability, intellectual property and increase scientific visibility.
The journal history
In December 1998 the TecnoLógicas magazine was published for the first time, with the aim of disseminating the investigative work of the Metropolitan Technological Institute. Also, its purpose has been to build the practice of periodic recording of its production, accompanied by a work of dissemination of universal knowledge. The journal, therefore, accommodates the results of research carried out by local professors and researchers, academic texts and foreign writers. Today, with the demands of education and scientific production, the journal faces the challenges of greater quality and efficiency. Therefore, the articles are subject to the evaluation of specialized arbitrators in the subjects, in such a way that they guarantee their general editors and the beneficiary community, the scientific quality, the originality, the true contribution to the educational development with critical positions, analytical or interpretative that help the national and international visibility of the journal.